In Conversation With Brennan & Partners Event
3rd October 2023
Brennan & Partners was delighted to host “Latin America: a political and electoral outlook,” the latest in our series of “In Conversation With Brennan & Partners” events, which took place on Tuesday, 3rd October.
This seminar was particularly timely as it coincided with a series of national elections unfolding across Latin America throughout the latter part of 2023 and into 2024. The political atmosphere in the region remains highly dynamic, with incumbents seeking re-election and opposition candidates and new contenders poised to mount challenges from both the left and the right, Latin America faces a period of political fluidity and change.
Our panel for this event included former Ministers from various Latin American countries. They provided in-depth analysis of the national and regional dynamics, examined the key trends affecting each country, and discussed the opportunities and challenges presented by these elections.
The session was moderated by Vanessa Rubio Márquez, Associate Dean of the School of Public Policy at the London School of Economics and Associate Fellow at Chatham House, in addition to her previous role as Deputy Minister of Finance, Foreign Affairs and Social Development of Mexico.
The lineup of speakers included:
- Dr. José Antonio Meade Kuribreña, a former Presidential candidate and five-time Mexican Cabinet Minister, also serving as a Non-Executive Director at HSBC Holdings Plc and a Senior Advisor at Brennan & Partners.
- Professor Mercedes Aráoz, who had held the positions of Acting President, Vice-President, and Prime Minister of Peru, as well as serving as both the Peruvian Minister of Economy and Finance and the Minister of Foreign Trade and Tourism. She is currently a Professor of Economics at Universidad de Pacífico.
- Alfonso Prat-Gay, a former Minister of Finance and Governor of the Central Bank of Argentina, also a Senior Advisor at Brennan & Partners.
- Alfredo Moreno Charme, a former Foreign Minister, Public Works Minister, and Social Development Minister of Chile.
- Eladio Loizaga, a former Foreign Minister of Paraguay.
The event commenced with opening remarks from Alexander Brennan, CEO of Brennan & Partners, and concluded with closing thoughts from The Rt. Hon. Lord Swire, Chair of the International Advisory Board at Brennan & Partners.